- 2007 UK emissions estimated to be 2 per cent lower than in 2006, March 27 
- £4 million to help local authorities fight climate change, March 11  From April, councils’ success in cutting carbon dioxide emissions will be measured as part of a new performance framework. They will also be assessed on their efforts to adapt to the effects of climate change, and to tackle fuel poverty. Many councils are expected to set specific targets to lead the drive to cut back on carbon emissions in their areas.
- CO2 emissions higher than Government admit, Friends of the Earth, January 31  FoE claim the figures would be 6 per cent higher if pollution from international flights was included and is calling on the Government to include these missing emissions in the Climate Change Bill. "Aviation is the fastest growing source of emissions in the UK and has twice the climate impact because the gases are emitted at altitude. Yet the Government has left aviation emissions out of the Climate Change Bill currently being debated in parliament." The Environmental Audit Committee in Parliament has also questioned the Government's logic in leaving emissions out of the Climate Change Bill.
- Carbon dioxide (CO2 emissions) "virtually the same", January 31 The final figures for all greenhouse gas emissions in the UK in 2006 show that total greenhouse gas emissions were down 0.5 per cent on 2005 levels, while carbon dioxide (CO2), which makes up about 85 per cent of the UK’s total greenhouse gas emissions, stayed virtually the same (a 0.1 per cent fall). The biggest decrease in CO2 emissions was in the residential sector, with a fall of 4 per cent on 2005 levels, along with a decrease of 1.6 per cent in the business sector. Other sectors increased, including energy supply (up by 1.5 per cent) and transport (up by 1.3 percent).
- Scientists urge Government: tougher CO2 cuts, January 21 
Related topics Edit
Ideas Bank - Climate change - Environmental wellbeing - Social wellbeing - Economic wellbeing - Transport and Planning - Local sustainability - Community involvement - Global connections - Personal options - Ideas Bank by place - Village pump
- ↑ Greenpeace, March 12
- ↑ Campaign for Better Transport, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, February 12
- ↑ Greenpeace, January 3
- ↑ Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, March 27
- ↑ Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, March 11
- ↑ Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, February 20
- ↑ Greater London Authority, February 12
- ↑ Friends of the Earth, January 31
- ↑ Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, January 31
- ↑ WWF-UK, January 21